Life’s a whirlwind of responsibilities and adventures, and you’re absolutely acing it. But hey, even superheroes could use a little boost now and then. That’s where side hustles come into play. If you’re wondering what a side hustle is, think of it as your personal sidekick – a way to earn extra income while balancing your superhero mom duties. So, buckle up because we’re about to explore 20 legitimate side hustles that can empower you with that extra financial flair, while you continue to rule the world of motherhood.
Demystifying the Side Hustle
Before we dive headfirst into the world of hustles, let’s break down the essence. A side hustle is like your secret ally – it’s a way to supplement your primary income by investing your talents, skills, and interests into ventures that put some extra cash in your pocket. And let’s be real – single moms are the true champions of multitasking. From saving for your child’s future education to indulging in a bit of self-care, there are countless reasons why a side hustle can be your superpower.
20 Side Hustles Tailored for Single Working Moms
1. Freelance Writing: If you have a way with words, consider diving into freelance writing. Starting as a blog writer, crafting articles, or even curating content for social media platforms could kickstart your freelance journey. Websites like Upwork and Freelancer provide platforms to showcase your writing prowess. The earnings can range from $20 to $100 or more per article, depending on the topic and length. As a single mom, you can choose the projects that fit your schedule and interests.
2. Virtual Assistant: Is your organization on point? Become a virtual assistant, handling tasks like managing emails, scheduling appointments, and more. Platforms like Time Etc and Belay can be your launchpad. Earnings vary, but on average, virtual assistants make around $15 to $25 per hour. As you build your skills and clientele, you could potentially earn even more. Plus, the flexibility allows you to balance work with family commitments.
3. Online Tutoring: If you have expertise in specific subjects, online tutoring is a worthy contender. Sign up on platforms like VIPKid or Preply to provide academic guidance to eager learners. Earnings range from $15 to $60 per hour, depending on your qualifications and the subject. The time commitment is usually during evenings and weekends, aligning well with your single mom schedule.
4. Etsy Shop Owner: Let your creativity shine by opening an Etsy shop. Whether it’s selling handmade crafts or digital designs, turning your passion into profit can be both fulfilling and financially rewarding. The earnings depend on the demand for your products, but many Etsy shop owners make several hundred dollars per month or more. The time required varies based on the complexity of your products and how much you invest in marketing your shop.
5. Pet Sitting or Dog Walking: Embrace your love for animals by pet sitting or becoming a dog walker. Utilize apps like Rover and Wag to connect with pet owners seeking your trustworthy care. Earnings can range from $15 to $50 per hour, depending on the services you offer, your rating on the platform, your competition and the demand in your area. It’s a great way to spend time outdoors and earn money while doing something you enjoy.
6. Consulting: If you possess specialized knowledge in a particular field, consider offering your consulting services. You can assist others while leveraging your expertise. Earnings vary widely based on the industry and your level of experience. Consultants can earn anywhere from $50 to several hundred dollars per hour. The time commitment depends on the projects you take on and your availability.
7. Baking or Catering: Unleash your culinary magic by starting a baking or catering business. Perfect for parties and events, this side hustle lets you showcase your cooking skills. Earnings can vary significantly based on the scale of your services and the demand in your area. Many caterers charge per person or per event, and prices can range from $200 to $1000 or more per event. The time required depends on the complexity of the menu and the number of events you take on.
8. Fitness Coaching: If you’re passionate about fitness, becoming a certified fitness coach can be a rewarding choice. Helping others achieve their health goals while earning extra income – talk about a win-win situation! Earnings vary based on factors like your qualifications, the type of coaching you offer (in-person or online), and the number of clients you have. On average, fitness coaches can earn around $50 to $100 per session or more. The time commitment depends on your schedule and the number of clients you’re coaching.
9. Photography: Channel your inner artist and explore the world of photography. Capture memorable moments for clients and build your portfolio step by step. Earnings vary based on your level of expertise, the type of photography you offer (portrait, wedding, event, etc.), and the demand in your area. Professional photographers can earn anywhere from $50 to $300 or more per hour. The time commitment includes not only the time spent shooting but also editing and client communication.
10. Rideshare or Food Delivery Driver: If you’re comfortable behind the wheel, becoming a rideshare or food delivery driver can be an accessible way to earn extra money. Platforms like Uber, Lyft, and DoorDash are waiting for your skills. Earnings depend on factors like location, demand, and the hours you choose to work. Rideshare drivers can earn around $15 to $25 per hour, while food delivery drivers can earn $10 to $20 per hour on average. The flexibility allows you to choose your driving hours.
11. Blogging: Transform your thoughts into a blog and monetize it through ads, affiliate marketing, or sponsored posts. Platforms like WordPress and Blogger make setting up your digital space a breeze. Earnings vary widely based on factors like your niche, audience size, and monetization strategies. Successful bloggers can earn anywhere from $500 to several thousand dollars per month. The time commitment includes content creation, marketing, and engaging with your audience.
12. Childcare Services: Leverage your nurturing spirit by offering childcare services to parents in your community. Creating a safe and loving environment can provide parents with peace of mind. Earnings depend on factors like location, the number of children you care for, and the hours you offer. Childcare providers can earn anywhere from $10 to $20 per hour on average. The time commitment aligns with the hours you agree upon with the parents.
13. Social Media Management: If you’re a social media maven, put your skills to use by offering social media management services to businesses. Help them grow their online presence and connect with their audience effectively. Earnings vary based on your experience, the number of platforms you manage, and the services you offer (content creation, scheduling, engagement, etc.). Social media managers can earn around $15 to $50 per hour or more. The time commitment depends on the number of clients and the level of engagement required.
14. Language Tutoring: Bilingual or multilingual? Consider language tutoring to help others learn a new language and expand their horizons. Your language skills can be both profitable and empowering. Earnings depend on factors like your expertise, the language you’re teaching, and the demand for that language in your area. Language tutors can earn around $20 to $40 per hour or more. The time commitment aligns with the hours you agree upon with your students. Check out Preply.
15. Handywoman Services: Unleash your inner DIY enthusiast by offering handywoman services. Basic home repairs and maintenance are often in demand – and who doesn’t love a handy solution? Earnings depend on factors like the type of services you offer and the complexity of the tasks. Handywoman services can be priced per project or per hour. Rates can range from $20 to $50 per hour or more. The time commitment varies based on the projects you take on.
16. Event Planning: Have a knack for planning and organizing? Delve into event planning, helping clients create memorable gatherings and celebrations. Your attention to detail could be your selling point. Earnings depend on factors like the scale of the event, your experience, and the services you provide (planning, coordination, design, etc.). Event planners can earn a percentage of the total event budget or charge a flat fee. Earnings per event can range from $200 to $1000 or more. The time commitment depends on the complexity of the event and the planning timeline.
17. Clothing Reselling: Revamp your closet and venture into clothing reselling on platforms like Poshmark and Depop. Not only will you declutter your wardrobe, but you’ll also earn money in the process. Earnings depend on factors like the quality of your items, brand popularity, and your marketing efforts. Many clothing resellers make a few hundred dollars per month on average. The time commitment includes listing items, managing orders, and shipping.
18. Interior Design: If aesthetics are your jam, consider becoming an interior designer. Help clients transform their spaces into havens of comfort and style. Earnings vary based on factors like your experience, the scale of the project, and the services you offer (design, decoration, consultation, etc.). Interior designers can earn a flat fee or a percentage of the project budget. Earnings per project can range from $500 to several thousand dollars. The time commitment depends on the complexity of the project and the design process.
19. Gardening Services: Embrace your green thumb and offer gardening services to those seeking to beautify their outdoor spaces. Your love for plants and landscaping could flourish into a profitable venture. Earnings depend on factors like the size of the garden, the tasks you offer (planting, maintenance, landscaping), and the demand in your area. Gardening services can be priced per project or per hour. Rates can range from $20 to $50 per hour or more. The time commitment aligns with the tasks you undertake for each client.
20. Life Coaching: If you’re a natural motivator and listener, life coaching might be your calling. Guide clients towards achieving their personal and professional goals, while cultivating your coaching skills. Earnings vary based on factors like your experience, specialization, and the level of coaching you offer (individual, group, online, etc.). Life coaches can earn around $50 to $200 per session or more. The time commitment includes coaching sessions, preparation, and ongoing support for your clients.
Starting Out and the Potential Earnings
Getting started might seem overwhelming, but remember – every journey begins with a single step. Identify your passion or skill, research your chosen side hustle, and create the necessary tools or online presence. As for earnings, the potential varies widely depending on the hustle, effort invested, and the market demand. Some side hustles can yield anywhere from $100 to over $1000 per month, allowing you to contribute meaningfully to your financial goals.
Time Commitment and Skill Requirements
The time commitment for each side hustle is flexible and varies based on your availability and the nature of the hustle. Some, like freelance writing or virtual assisting, enable you to dictate your hours. On the other hand, activities such as event planning or rideshare driving might require more scheduled time. In terms of skills, it largely depends on the hustle itself. Many side hustles don’t demand specialized skills, and you can learn as you go. Others, such as fitness coaching or photography, might require you to have a level of expertise in the field.
Final Words of Encouragement
\You’ve got the strength, resilience, and determination to master these side hustles and elevate your superhero status. Keep shining, keep hustling, and keep being the extraordinary woman that you are! Your journey is nothing short of awe-inspiring, and these side hustles are your way of making it even more phenomenal.