Bingsu (Bing soo) is a popular Korean dessert that consists of shaved ice, sweetened condensed milk, and a variety of toppings. The toppings used in bingsu can vary greatly, from fresh fruits to sweet beans and even candy. In this article, we’ll explore the different types of bingsu toppings, how to combine them, which are the most popular, and provide you with three delicious recipes to make at home.
Types of Bingsu Toppings:
- Fresh Fruits – Fresh fruits are a popular topping for bingsu. Some of the most common fruits used include strawberries, mangoes, kiwis, and blueberries.
- Sweet Beans – Sweet beans, such as red beans and mung beans, are a traditional bingsu topping. They add a sweet and slightly savory flavor to the dish.
- Nuts and Seeds – Nuts and seeds, such as almonds, peanuts, and sesame seeds, are a great way to add some crunch to your bingsu.
- Cereal – Cereal, such as cornflakes or Rice Krispies, can be used to add some texture to your bingsu. It also adds a bit of sweetness to the dish.
- Syrups – Syrups, such as chocolate, strawberry, or caramel, are a great way to add some sweetness and flavor to your bingsu.
How to Combine Bingsu Toppings:
When it comes to combining bingsu toppings, there are no hard and fast rules. You can mix and match different toppings to create your own unique flavor combinations. However, here are a few tips to help you get started:
- Balance flavors – Make sure you have a balance of sweet and savory flavors in your bingsu. Too much sweetness can be overwhelming.
- Add some crunch – Adding some nuts, seeds, or cereal to your bingsu will give it some texture and make it more interesting to eat.
- Mix and match – Don’t be afraid to mix and match different toppings to create your own unique flavor combinations.
3 Delicious Bingsu Recipes to Make at Home:
- Strawberry Bingsu – This recipe is perfect for strawberry lovers. Simply blend some fresh strawberries with ice, sweetened condensed milk, and a bit of sugar. Top with fresh strawberries and some whipped cream.
- Red Bean Bingsu – For a traditional bingsu experience, try this red bean recipe. Simply blend some ice with sweetened condensed milk and top with sweet red beans and a bit of sesame seeds.
- Mango Coconut Bingsu – For a tropical twist on bingsu, try this mango coconut recipe. Blend some ice with sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk, then top with fresh mango and some toasted coconut flakes.
Some great topping and recipe ideas to follow
Bingsu with Mochi and Fruit
In conclusion, bingsu is a delicious and refreshing dessert that can be customized to your taste preferences. Whether you prefer fresh fruits, sweet beans, or crunchy nuts and seeds, there are endless possibilities when it comes to bingsu toppings. With these tips and recipes, you’ll be able to create your own unique bingsu creations at home and impress your friends and family with your culinary skills. So go ahead and experiment with different flavor combinations, and don’t be afraid to try something new. Who knows, you may just discover your new favorite bingsu topping!